Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Occasional Paper,

 The readings of this class have given me a lot to think about. I have only worked as a tutor and in after school programs. the students in those settings are always performing math at different grade levels. Of course I suspected a student or two might be a year or so behind their grade level. I didn't think that most of a class could be 2 or 3 years behind their grade level. One wonders how these children are promoted to the next grade. Its my job to get them to pass an end of grade test. I could privately tutor them on my own time.  FOR FREE. I could teach to the test. unacceptable. If a child is 3 years behind their grade level and with my help they become one year behind their grade then they have moved 2 years academically in one years time. That would be a great achievement but it wouldn't be good enough for my teacher report card to earn me some of that merit pay. perhaps I am just stressed out. everything looks like doom and gloom when your stressed out enough.

Speaking of stress.
         
It should be said, out loud, that students have stressful lives. For example, financial aid sent my refund check, of considerable amount of money, to the wrong address and I know the guy. He seems nice to me but my neighbors suspect him of being a crook and a scam artist. Why oh why did he get my refund check? My mother suspects my 12 year old niece of having a 20 year old boyfriend. I have a pre cancerous growth and will have surgery on my throat in a few weeks. I had to drop my undergrad class because of my surgery will leave me to drained to do grad school and undergrad. Despite the fact that I dropped it after three weeks I am not getting any of my money back, because its all a scam I unfortunately paid for undergrad class out of pocket. I have been selected for jury duty ( which I am planning on ignoring). I have a performance in a few months where I have to play piano music of more difficulty than anything I have ever played. Playing piano makes me nervous enough to vomit but it is how I pay the bills. Well I do enjoy it after it is done so it is not all a horror story. But wish me well on my endeavors.  I was even chased by a dog on my way to school today January 27 2016.

I am extremely impressed with the breadth and depth of insight in the assigned readings and in the scholarly education literature in general. It makes me wonder. Why is the education system in such a hot mess of a bad situation. Researchers working in education actually have a firm grasp on the psychology of learning. The problems that occur in a classroom are understood and discussed at length and there is a ton of literature devoted to all of the problems individually.

Just because researchers know what the problems are doesn't mean people in the education system are using their findings. After all do politicians sound as if they read political science articles. If they did they would never get elected. I mean, only graduate students understand those things. The education system probably has a history of people in positions of power jockeying for more power, political back stabbing etc. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the teachers union make very large campaign contributions to the democratic party.

As stated I am just in some weird mood because the speed of the dog that chased me was far greater than mine and I don't know how I didn't get eaten alive and it bothers me. I have heard of many fantastic teachers achieving amazing results with wonderful children so obviously despite all of its short comings the American Education System is still a place where good happens intermittently.

After reflecting on it I went to 5 elementary schools, 3 middle schools, 4 high schools and every teacher I remembered seemed to know their content area extremely well. I suppose the data reflects that observation. Most teachers know their material well enough to be a good teacher. My worst teachers were impatient or completely disengaged. I had a teacher who used to constantly leave in the middle of class and go to McDonald's.

Well, these occasional papers are more fun than I thought.
         





2 comments:

  1. Wow! You do have a great deal going on right now. I am glad you are able to stick with this course and I wish you a smooth recovery.
    Occasional papers are meant to provide a space for students to view writing as communication, not just an assignment. As far as jury duty, ask for an exception. You certainly deserve one with your surgery. There is usually a form on the back you can fill out. I've had to do it in the past.
    You have several good insights into systemic issues with our education system. How are you going be different or work against these in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theo,
    Sounds like you have more than enough on your plate. I hope you get through it all one day at a time.

    I have been teaching since 1999, and it is easy to get dishearten. I understand and share some of your frustrations. It's not easy, and often times, people who make policies aren't teachers or have forgotten what it's like being at the coal face. When I was doing my teacher training, my master teacher (OSTE) told me that I need to take care of my health as I'll be going into a stressful job. We often don't reap what we sow. Somehow, we have to keep pressing on.
    For me, when I get discourage, I ask myself what keeps me going despite what I see, hear or get treated. Another thing I do is to reward or treat myself regardless of how the education system treats me. I'm thankful that I have a friend whom I can vent to and have her support. These things keep me going on from week to week. Hope you find your reasons and support group.
    All the best with your surgery!

    ReplyDelete